Thursday, May 6, 2010

You couldn't get much farther from modern, could you? Oh well, my idea of what a modern quilt is will be saved for another day. A friend has asked me to make three vintage, old-fashioned, or retro baby quilts for her, so I'm finding it kind of a fun challenge to make something in this style that's still enjoyable for me to make. I've also found that my stash includes very few old-fashioned prints, so time to go fabric shopping, right? I take any excuse I can find.
I was pleased to find this shop on Etsy, that carries piles of reproduction prints and has great customer service. And of course, one has to be efficient and fill a flat rate envelope, so I found a few cute prints to add to my stash as well!

For this quilt I used one charm pack of Wee Play by American Jane, and approx. 1 yard of quilter's muslin. I've found that muslin is the perfect background color to go with American Jane fabrics. I cut the charm pack into quarters, making 2.5" squares, which made 6.5" squares when sewn into nine patches. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and am thinking I'll be revisiting this simple pattern in the future. It's truly a timeless style, depending on the fabrics you choose. Right now I'm thinking, replace the musling with Aqua Kona, and make the printed squares in scrappy reds. Oh I wish I could start on that right now, rather than the many other custom orders I need to fill.

2 comments:

  1. Well, this goes back to the thought that modern isn't actually modern, but a throwback. That quilt still looks fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just started to follow you. I love the quilts you are making! This one is great!I want to make one like this with american jane.

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.