Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is This Old Fashioned Enough?

As I mentioned here, my friend asked me to make her some vintage inspired baby quilts, which is proving to be an interesting challenge for me. I made the nine patch, and now I made this one with 1 1/2 charm packs of Whimsy. But now I'm wondering if this is vintage enough, or should I get up the courage and tea dye it?
I've never tea dyed something before, and it's definitely not my style, but she mentioned that she liked it, so... Help! I'm so scared to do it! Please tell me it looks old-fashioned enough, or else reassure me that it will look even better dyed. (I wouldn't use actual tea, but the dye that's supposed to look that way. )
I can't find too much advice or before and afters online, so I'm thinking I might try it on a small piece of fabric first. By the way, I just LOVE the color of the aqua in this line. Actually the whole Whimsy line has such a warm whimsical feel, I'm tempted to buy more, but my husband lovingly reminded me today, that I'm selling quilts to make a bit of money, and if I spend too much on stocking fabric, I might end up with thousands of dollars worth of outdated fabric sitting on my shelves. (Thousands? I don't know where he came up with such an outrageous number!)

8 comments:

  1. I would be terrified to dye it too...I think that it is adorable...LOVE the raw edges, and whimsy is soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those dresden plates with the raw edge centre are really cool - sort of trad but modern too. My wedding dress was dyed with tea - yes actual tea - the whole thing was thrown in a bath and my wedding dress went in and came out a lovely champagne colour! I LOVE Whimsy and have been seriously considering making a proper superking bed sized quilt with it - all those bright colours are fab but I think I could like with Whimsy every day and seeing your quilt confirms that. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I love the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tea dye might just give it that antique look but I would definitely dye some of the scraps first to make sure it looks OK before dunking the finished quilt. Maybe make a small table topper as a test...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the quilt the way it is. I really love this line snd the aqua especially. I'm working on a snowball quilt using it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this the way it is! So beautiful! I love this block! :)

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.