Monday, May 10, 2010

An Ode to Simple Squares

Need to whip up a quick quilt for a friends baby? Not sure what style of quilt they'd like? Or just loving some fabrics and no ideas how to make them pop. I always fall back on simple patchwork squares. There's something so satisfying about laying the squares out in a pleasing arrangement, then sewing them together.
Ashley of FilmintheFridge has popularized this age old pattern and helped make it seem new and fresh. It's a great way to use a charm pack, but also works well with any other of the wonderful fabric out there.
What's your fave way to quilt a squares quilt? I like cross hatch quilting, but don't like marking, so I usually stick with straightline quilting 1/4 inch from the seam on both sides and I love it every time. I hope there are many more of these quilts in my future.

4 comments:

  1. Those are sooooo pretty. I love Odyssea and it looks great like that. I need to make quick and easy quilts for my neices and I might just grab four charm packs and do what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice quilts!

    for now i only know how to meander for quilting. would like to try some straight lines soon. just need to make a quilt....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love charm squares! I make them into tumbler blocks, half hexagons, but my favorite is to turn them into disappearing nine patch blocks! I have quilted them in straight lines as well as free motion quilting. For me, it depends on how busy the fabric is; that seems to determine the amount of quilting I do.

    Your quilts are beautiful!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love cross hatch too. last time i did it, i used painters tape to mark my lines...worked well. i simply love charm quilts too!

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.