Friday, May 28, 2010

Ramblings During Naptime

So many quilters talk of their many WIP's stacked in perilous heaps and stopping mid-project to start a new one.  Because many of my quilts are made to sell or as gifts, I find I don't have this luxury.  My mind is constantly boiling over with new ideas for quilts, but it seems there's always another one I need to be finishing up.  

Anyways, just last night I got completely caught up on orders, so I attacked the pile of three quilt tops that were making me extremely nervous just sitting there and making little whistles and calls in my direction.


This first one is a actually a top I bought from Cluck Cluck Sew's  Etsy shop.  She decided to sell the top for fire-sale price, so I thought it was a cute little thing, and snatched it up.  (Not to mention being made by a quilting celebrity!)
 I used a Snippets print by American Jane for the back and stippled it for a sweet vintage looking baby quilt.



Next I grabbed a top that I pieced from my scraps awhile back, and although I'm not totally in love with it anymore, I'm forcing myself to finish it.  I know that once I pull it out of the dryer all crinkly and warm, I'll like it again.

Here's a sneak peak of the front.  It uses some tiny strips of pink from my scrap bin and lots of Kona Ash.


Here I am at my design wall, piecing the back.  I wasn't sure I was liking this layout, so I took a picture of it, then took a picture with the scooters on top and birdies in the middle and liked that better.  I find that it's very worthwhile to take a picture of layouts on my design wall and then go look at it on my computer.  It's amazing how you see it different in a picture that in real life.  Some of those little things like two red blocks right next to each other, can just pop out at you in a picture.

So here's my final layout which I like better.  Don't ask me why.  And we hope the quilting-washing-shrinking genie sprinkles his magic dust on this one and makes it turn out cute.  (I left parts of my messy sewing room in, just for your viewing pleasure.)

3 comments:

  1. Well, for starters, I think your sewing room is adorable with all that cute blue/aqua you've got going on there.

    Second, I am very fond of the Computer As Layout Evaluator strategy, myself. Sometimes just seeing something on my camera's viewscreen when reviewing photos is enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the computer - I discovered this when I was taking a pic of a quilt I made as a gift for my niece. Looking at it on the computer, lo and behold I discovered I had pieced her initials (HH) into the backing! Serendipitous!!

    BTW, I think both of those quilts are going to be just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this; tell you what, just pass it this way if you don't like the finished product...:)

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.