Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Quilting Drought

An action packed week of hiking, rafting, biking, and eating around the campfire in the beautiful Canadian Rockies.  With my husband's parents and five married siblings.  14 kids from 9 months to 18 years.




                                          Piles of fun.




                                              
                                          Piles of laundry.



Some yummy mail awaiting me.  Piece 'n Quilt had a wonderful sale on a while back and I couldn't resist at $5 a yard.  The  reason I succumbed in the first place was because she had Whimsy Jelly rolls on sale.  The colors in this collection are the style that a lot of my friends and acquaintances like.  This is the problem I have.  I see the great stashes that some girls have, and they always suggest buying only what you really love.  But so much of my sewing is done as gifts or to sell to others, and so many people have different tastes than me.  So the Whimsy collection is one example of a compromise for me.  I really do like it, and I know that most of my friends and family would love it.  So... I decided to buy a jelly roll, and then threw in the some yardage just to fill up the flat rate envelope ;)  Some Verna by Kate Spain, cute Tweet Tweet birdies by Keiki, and some Mary Englebreit Attitude Girls Polka Dots. (they remind me of Amy Butler's Full Moon Dots)

Then I found out that she had just sold out of Whimsy jelly rolls, and my options were down to a few of my less than favorite collections, so I chose a Tweet Tweet jelly roll on a whim, although it wasn't a collection that I was really fond of.


I still have mixed feeling on it.  Some of the individual fabrics are sweet, but I'm not loving the whole combination together.  I'm thinking I might divide it into a couple different quilts and add some solids.  It will be another good challenge for me.  I seem to always be finding myself trying to make something I can feel good about from fabric that I'm not loving.  Maybe it will end up being a new favorite!

Hopefully I'll be spending some time in my neglected sewing room this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.