Friday, July 16, 2010

Make... Sailboats

My second most loved aspect of quilting (the first is choosing fabrics and designing the quilt)  is pulling a quilt all warm and crinkly out the dryer for the first time.  Something about going through the rigors of a good washing and drying, just adds personality to a quilt and makes it the real thing.  Many quilts that I've been so-so about have turned to instant love when I pull them out of the dryer.


I quickly rushed outside to take one photo before the storm set in.



I find that I have to take two sets of photos, one for my blog, and one for my Etsy shop.  As a quilter, I find nothing more frustrating than seeing 'teasers' of beautiful quilts in styled photos with props.  All I want is to see the quilt as a whole.  Overall, I find the best pictures are taken out of doors, so I prefer to take some of the whole quilt outside.  But somehow, I don't like having outdoor shots in my Etsy shop.  I think people that are looking for a baby quilt to buy, want to see it in a soft clean enviroment.  (just my humble opinion.)

So here's the photo I took for you fellow quilters, and the shop photos will come later.



I was inspired by this quilt in an old quilting book,



It was a toddler size, and each ship was made from a single print.  I decided to make it a baby size (40" square)  and used a charm pack of Make Life... by Sweetwater.

I think next time I'd go with one print through out like the original, just because mine seems a little busy.  That said, I do think these fabrics were just the right colors for this pattern.  They're bright without being tacky.



...only three more projects to finish up before I can start anything new.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is such a cute quilt! I don't think it is too busy at all. Besides, any toddler would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thimk your version looks great! Any toddler would to have it I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I like the way your sails all blow the same way - better than the original. And I love the colorfulness of it for a toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those half square triangles are just amazing! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love it. Love. it. I like that each little boat is its own color and Sweetwater was the perfect choice. Beautiful blog.

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this! My husband and I just got a sailboat and something like this would be perfect for any overnight trips or naps. What a gorgeous design!

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.