Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Finished!


First of all, a Stacked Books boy quilt.  This one was made on impulse, and I thoroughly enjoyed making it.


When I chose the fabrics for the 'books'  I was thinking of Kona Aqua for the solid background, but decided on impulse to use Turquoise instead.  I started my quilting journey ten years ago by working in a local quilt shop. I learned so many good  things about quilting during that part of my life, but I also picked up on matchy-matchy notion.  It's a real challenge to just leap out and follow my instinct when putting together fabrics that don't really go.  It's these fabrics that clash when you just lay them out together, that give the finished quilt depth.

 

I quilted in straight vertical lines with light aqua thread...


and backed it with this yummy Valori Wells Birds flannel.  And it came out of the dryer very wrinkly and squishy soft.

And now for the finished Football Quilt.


Quilted in straight lines.  Looking at the quilting pattern on the back, it reminds me of a football field with ten yard lines, etc.


I like the happy primary colors.


And here's a peak at the back, including the hand embroidered label with the baby's name.  (I hope no one will be able to steal the baby's identity from the last three letters.  Quilters have such a bad reputation for this.)

Now, time to dive into a new project!

16 comments:

  1. the football quilt turned out so amazing and wonderful! Both quilts are fabulous. You have talent! I know the parents will be more than thrilled and it will be better than they dreamed it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both - even the one with football on - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both wonderful quilts! Thanks for talking a bit about your process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both quilts, but the stacked one is definitely my fave. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Busy girl!! I love love love the stacked books quilt - great color combination! And the football quilt came out quite nicely - I love the design you finally settled on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are both excellent! thanks again for sharing the football quilt process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both quilts are awesome! Isn't it cool how clashing fabrics can end up making the most interesting quilts?

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both quilts are beautiful. I love them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your process on the football quilt. I think you did a terrific job of integrating their fabric choice with your own aesthetic. It will be the centerpiece of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that stacked books quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jolene, those are great! The aqua is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The football quilt came together nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great quilts! Love the football one. I have someone in mind who would love it!!

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.