Friday, October 1, 2010


I think basting is my least favorite part of the quilting journey.  (Ha Ha, big surprise)  I've heard a lot about basting spray, and I've been toying with the idea of trying it, but it's just one of those things that hasn't happened yet.  I do all my basting on the kitchen floor because I tape the backing down, and the kitchen is the only tapeable surface around here.  Baby tries to grab the pins, and 3-year-old must have some tape of his own to put onto every surface.  I suppose I should do it during nap-time.  But I love the way my boy's face lights up when I say "we're gonna pin a quilt now".  He loves to hand me pins, and pulls the tape off the edges when we're done.

The other day I returned from the nursery after changing a smelly pamper mid-quilt.  I noticed the sun streaming in on this partially basted quilt and my little orange pin canister sitting there so happy.  I had to show you this picture, not because it's anything special, but to me it signifies everything I love about this hobby of mine.  And it's a sneak peak of Rainbow Quilt #2.  (Those big empty brown spaces are getting some happy-colored hand stitching)

I have another toddler bed/lap size quilt basted and ready to quilt...
...piecing the back for my Hopeful Circles...
     ...and dreaming of new projects...I hope I have the self denial to finish these up before I even LOOK at anything new!

Should be back with some finished projects soon.

6 comments:

  1. Basting spray is one of those things that sound too good to be true. There must be a huge flaw or we'd all be doing it .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm right there with you, I am not a fan of pin-basting at all, and I've never tried spray basting. I can't wait to see this quilt all done, it looks lovely so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty, Jolene! And as far as I can tell, there is no flaw to basting spray - I started using it after my third quilt and I will NEVER go back! I use the June Tailor basting spray. I tape my quilt batt to the floor, and head outdoors to my clothesline with my flimsies. I spray the back of the quilt backing first, then take it indoors and smooth it out onto my batt. The spray is repositionable, so you can move it around as much as needed to get it right! Then I trim the batt, flip it over and retape it to the floor with the batt side up. Go outside, spray the back of the quilt top, then bring it in and apply it to the batt. Voila! It's done and ready to quilt. You can fold it up and leave it on the shelf for up to two months before quilting, too, so you can do a bunch of sandwiches at the same time. The basting spray will not gum up your machine (if you don't use the June Tailor spray, be sure your spray is labeled "sewable" or it WILL gum up your machine.) I have quilted about thirty quilts this way and it is awesome stuff!!!! You can be quilting about 15-30 minutes after you start putting your quilt sandwich together.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basting is my least favorite part too, even if I spray baste! You have some beautiful projects in the works... I can't wait to see them finished!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried spray basting for the first time this week. I will never go back to using pins. It took no time at all and never shifted once. Even when I layed it out to check for puckering and my cats decided to wrestle on it. Great picture, I love your fabric choices and can't wait to see when its all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I think basting quilts is the worst.job.ever., and based on what Sarah said, I think I might try her method to spray basting.

    This picture was so cheery and the orange pin canister is perfection...

    ReplyDelete

My Flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from BlueElephantStitches. Make your own badge here.